The Areti Trust made a grant last week to enable children from Skerton St Luke’s CE Primary School to visit Leighton Moss nature reserve in May.
One of the activities funded by the Areti Charitable Trust was a day of caving for Lancaster Boys & Girls Club. Over the February half-term they visited Ormside Mill in the Yorkshire Dales and – kitted out in the appropriate gear – went to Thistle and Runscar Caves near the Ribblehead Viaduct and then to the Great Douk Cave.
The trustees met at the beginning of January to consider recent applications and made the following awards:
- Lancashire Youth Challenge for a 5-day walk along Hadrian’s Wall in summer 2019;
- Lancaster Boys & Girls Club for 6 outdoor educational activity days during half-terms in 2019;
- Lancaster Road Primary School for Year 3 pupils to visit Leighton Moss RSPB wildlife reserve in the summer term;
- Marsh Community Centre for a residential outdoor education trip in summer 2019
- Morecambe Bay Partnership to work with local primary schools to explore and develop an activity around Sunderland Point, its fishing history and the shoreline during the spring and summer terms;
- Morecambe Bay Community Primary School for Year 6 pupils to go on a residential outdoor education trip in the summer term;
- Piccadilly Garden to develop holiday club activities in the outdoors.
A reminder that the next deadline for applications (for anything that you may be planning for spring/summer) is 31 December. The trustees will meet early in January to review applications and decide on grants.
Forty-five pupils from Morecambe Bay CP School visited RSPB Leighton Moss yesterday to find out about birds and insects and to try out pond-dipping. It was impressive that they already knew about predators and camouflage. Everyone seemed to enjoy it – not least the adults.
Children from Skerton St Luke’s CE and West End primary schools were the first groups to visit the RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss. Thirty reception class pupils from St Luke’s and 53 year 3 and 4 pupils from West End visited at the beginning of this week to try out pond dipping and other activities.